The following information has been developed by KHSD counselors to assist you in helping your high school student succeed. Here are a few basic reminders:
- Attendance-regular attendance in class is fundamental to your student’s success. If your student will be out of school for several days, contact the school to arrange for homework assignments to be collected for your student.
- Talk with your student about his school day. Help him see that school is a priority and help him develop long-range goals.
- Use ParentVUE and SchoolMessenger to stay on top of academics and important information from your student’s educators.
- Provide adequate time and a place for your student to study. Monitor your student’s progress through Progress Reports when you feel necessary. These forms are available in the counseling office.
- Get to know your student’s counselor. Counselors are here to help your student be successful and to be a link with the resources and personnel available at the school. Don’t hesitate to contact the counselor if you have a question or concern.
- Become involved in your student’s school. There are parent organizations and booster groups that provide opportunities for parent involvement in the school. Attend Back to School nights where you will have a chance to learn about your student’s classes and meet the teachers. Support your student’s activities.
- Use the resources located on the KHSD Guidance website to gain information that you can use to help guide your student to make wise decisions throughout high school and beyond.