The Kern High School District has partnered with School Messenger, a company that provides notification services for parental outreach, emergency broadcasts, and student attendance communications for K-12 Education. Now parents can receive phone calls, text alerts, and emails about a range of important issues affecting their students’ safety and academic performance.
Step 1: Gather information you need
You need these items before you begin.
- Your student’s UID #
- An active/valid email address.
- Access to a phone that is listed on your student’s record.
Step 2: Create a Contact Manager Account
Steps for setting up your account:
- Click the “Activate Your Account” button below.
- You will be taken to the Sign-Up page; click the “Sign Up Now” link near the bottom of the page.
- Enter a valid email address, a password, and your name.
- You’ll use your email address and the password you enter here to sign in later. Click Sign Up when you are done.
- Check your email. There will be an Account Activation email from email@example.com which contains a link to a confirmation page where you must enter your password in order to activate your account.
- Once activated, you’re ready to add your child to your account. Click the “Click here to begin” button. Select the option that says, “I do not have an Activation Code and want to activate by phone,” and click “Next”.
- Simply follow the instructions on the page to call in and activate your account. You will need to be able to call into the system from one of the phone numbers associated with your child’s student record in Synergy.
- When you have finished adding your child to your account, navigate to the Contacts tab and click the edit link to right of your child’s name. There you can simply check which types of messages you would like to receive and at which phone number or email address.
- Make sure that you click Save when you are done making changes.
Step 3: (Optional) – Activate SMS/Text Alerts
Your School Messenger account will send you alerts via email and automated calls by default, but you can also subscribe to SMS alerts (texts) as well.
- Text “subscribe” to 68453
- You were successful if you receive the following SMS response: “You are registered to receive aprox. 3 msgs/mo. Txt STOP to quit, HELP for help.”
- You can unsubscribe at any time. Text the word, stop, to 68453.
NOTE: although the district does not charge you for this service, it does not pay for text message charges that may be incurred by you for sending or receiving text messages. Check with your wireless carrier for possible charges.